- Bonhams is looking for a Senior Specialist and Head of Sale to join the 20th Century Decorative Arts team in Knightsbridge for a Maternity Cover role. In your role as Senior Specialist and Head of Sale you will be required to carry out the following:
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
• Preferably have five or more years specialist experience in the area of 20th Century Decorative Arts, with particular knowledge focus on the Arts& Crafts, Art Nouveau and Art Deco, ideally also British Art Pottery and British Studio Pottery.
• Business getting for the department to fulfill the budgets set for the department's sales.
• Responsibility for bi-annual Decorative Arts sales at our Knightsbridge salerooms, and supporting the running of bi-annual Design sales at our New Bond Street salerooms.
• Working with the Director of Design on strategies to encourage new business opportunities for the integrated departments of 20th Century Decorative Arts, and 20th Century Design.
• Maintain and support the ongoing development of a database of customers – both buyers and sellers – for the department.
• Maintain contact with established collectors and trade to encourage further business with the company, either as buyers or sellers.
• Support the production of an advertising and marketing campaign, within the budgets set, to promote the business getting and sales activities of the department.
• To satisfactorily value customer's property both in the office and at other venues within the UK and Europe.
• Support the junior members of the team to encourage their development and knowledge of the market.
• Support the team to produce the catalogs to ensure timely delivery.
• Assist on exhibition and publicity events, either in the UK or worldwide as and when required.
• Maintain an awareness of our competitors' strategies to maintain the competitive position of this department in the market.
• Managing/assisting an external Vintage Poster Consultant in delivery of a Poster section for the Decorative Arts sales.
• Mentoring the more junior members of the team in accordance with the Director's guidelines.
• With the right level of experience - this could be a Head of Department role.
In addition to the tasks and responsibilities listed, you may be required to perform other duties as assigned by your Manager.
• A good level of specialist expertise achieved through a previous role in 20th Century Decorative Arts, preferably within an auction house.
• Good market and trend awareness.
• Degree holder or equivalent.
• Proven business acumen and valuation skills.
• A network of contacts (or) willingness to build up such a portfolio.
• Functional working knowledge of the whole auction process and related procedures (e.g. shipping regulations, VAT).
• A second language would be advantageous.
• Excellent time management and organization skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both written and oral.
• Able to manage a team, and work independently.
• Able to work to tight deadlines and under pressure.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Flexibility and the ability to be a team player.
- How to apply:
If you wish to apply, please send your CV and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Bonhams is an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to fight for equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent recruitment process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.