The banded agate covered salt with cagework Gothic silver-gilt mounts, just under 6in (15cm) high, was probably made in Germany in the early 16th century.
It was formerly owned by Baron Guy de Rothschild (1909-2007) at Château de Ferrières and formed part of the Sotheby’s Monaco contents sale held in 1974. It came for sale in London from a Norwegian private collector.
The catalogue noted a number of similar jasper and agate salts with the same distinctive spiral gadrooning residing in the Danish Royal collection at Rosenborg Castle, in the Estense Gallery, Modena, and another in the Louvre which entered the collection of Louis XIV in the 1680s.
It was estimated at £20,000- 30,000, but took £130,000 (plus premium).