A newly rediscovered painting by Anna Alma-Tadema (1867-1943), which post-dates the most recent of her known works by four years, is to go on sale at Keys in Norfolk on November 29.
Baby’s Throne, a 2ft 5in x 20in (73 x 52cm) watercolour, was painted in the spring of 1906, and depicts Louisa Forbes Robertson and her daughter Olivia, wife and second-born child of Sir Norman Forbes Robertson, a leading actor of the late 19th and early 20th century. It has been in the possession of the family since and is now estimated at £20,000-30,000.
Alma-Tadema, the daughter of Dutch artist Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema, is known to have continued to work well into the 20th century, but many of her paintings are unaccounted for. Before this discovery, the most recent of her known works was Girl in a Bonnet with her Head on a Blue Pillow, painted in 1902 and currently on display at the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford.
A study for CRW Nevinson’s (1889-1946) famous First World War work Returning to the Trenches has surfaced in a picture sale at Surrey saleroom John Nicholson’s on November 28.
The unsigned 9¾ x 7½in pastel and charcoal study was acquired by the current owner from the artist, art critic and writer Mervyn Levy in 1973.
The completed 1914 painting, now in the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa, is viewed as a landmark in both the development of Futurism and of war art. It caused a sensation when it was first exhibited in a seminal show of Futurist work in London in 1915.
This 9 x 12½in (23 x 32cm) pencil drawing of a Lancashire mill estimated at £4000-6000 is one of several works by LS Lowry (1887-1976) to be offered at Silverwoods’ Fine Art Auction in Clitheroe on November 28.
The signed pictures come from the John S Fletcher collection of northern art and were purchased from Henry Donn Fine Art Dealers of Whitefield in the 1990s.
Other Lowrys in the sale will include a pastel landscape drawing of Lancashire seaside town Lytham St Annes, a pencil drawing titled Naked Male Figure with Right Foot on a Step and a limited edition signed print of St Simon’s Church in Salford.