You have 2 more free articles remaining

The cabinet, which will shortly be displayed in the new galleries of 17th century European art, was made c.1700 and was collected by Henry Blundell, the eminent art collector who lived in Ince Blundell Hall, near Liverpool in the early 1800s; it will be the only one of its type displayed in the UK. The National Arts Collection Fund also helped save the piece for the nation, handing over a grant of £105,000.

This 12in (30cm) cubed cabinet, which was sold at auction in 1998 and was due for export to America, is decorated in the baroque style with additional classical motifs. It is highly likely that it was made in Danzig, (now Gdansk in Poland) as either a marriage or diplomatic gift; the fact that it is made of the highly-prized amber means that it may also have connections to the Royal courts of Europe. Connections with Merseyside were boosted by evidence of repair work to the cabinet by Liverpool furniture maker George Bullock in the 19th century.