1) UK government’s ivory bill passes final stages in Parliament on way to becoming law
The ivory bill, which proposes a near-total ban on the trade in ivory, has passed its final stage in the House of Commons and is awaiting Royal Assent before it can become law next year.
2) Metal-detecting trend boosts ‘treasure’ discoveries as numbers hit a record for second year running
Bronze Age golden jewellery and a Roman goddess kept in a margarine tub are among the discoveries dug up across the UK.
3) What lots caught bidders’ eyes this week? Five auction highlights including a Spitfire instrument panel and a Barlow-painted Doulton Lambeth vase
ATG’s selection of hammer highlights over the past week include a modernist slate fireplace and an intriguing blue glass tankard.
4) Movers and shakers: the latest trade appointments
Our latest look at moves across the world of art and antiques including new faces at Halls and Hansons and a new office for Phillips.
5) Anglo-Saxon pendant found in Norfolk field voted Britain’s favourite work of art
A rare Anglo-Saxon pendant found in Norfolk by a metal detectorist has been voted Britain’s favourite work of art bought by a museum.