A sale of Titanic and White Star memorabilia at Devizes saleroom Henry Aldridge & Son in Wiltshire will include a pair of brass plaques from the lifeboats that carried survivors of the ill-fated liner to the rescue ship Carpathia (one shown above).
The 12 x 2in (30 x 5cm) pair are estimated at £50,000-70,000 in the sale on October 20.
Titanic’s lifeboats were dismantled after Carpathia had safely docked in New York. According to a catalogue entry at Christie’s, where the pair sold in 1999, they had descended through the family of a New York city policeman who had acquired them in 1912.
All of Titanic’s lifeboats displayed the SS Titanic name boards on each side of the bow, with White Star Line house flags on the port side and Liverpool signs on the starboard.